Okay, I've thought about this for a little bit, and originally I didn't like this idea. But now, after thinking about it, I absolutely think it's a good decision. I thought hosting custom lobbies was a better idea for a while, but now I realize doing that would have everyone host pretty much the same map and/or similar maps with the exact same buildings in them so nobody would complain about the lack of something like Sweet Suites in a custom map.
Community condos solves this problem by having it so that you DON'T need to have any of that in your condo. It makes total sense.
I do have a few questions, though:
- Will Workshop support for maps be implemented at some point?
- If the answer to question one is yes, how will maps be made? Using Unreal Engine? Or something else?
- Can we host maps that are as big as the plaza?
- Can we have community-condo-specific items that can recreate some facets of the plaza, like an item that allows people to choose and queue up for gamemodes, or a two-way teleporter?
- If workshop maps are added, how much will they cost in-game? Will they be free? If so, will maps for "temporary" condos still cost in-game Units?
Other than that, I'm really excited for this. And I'm really proud of the team planning to allow people to host regular lobbies again after support is dropped for the game. That's something most indie devs don't even think of when it comes to this kind of stuff.
also if workshop maps are added i hope someone ports lobby 1 to UE4 so we can all use that :D